Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

QT 27 Nov 13, Seek God

1 Sam 30: ~6-19 (ESV) And David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in soul, each for his sons and daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.

7  And David said to Abiathar the priest, the son of Ahimelech, "Bring me the ephod." So Abiathar brought the ephod to David. 8  And David inquired of the Lord, "Shall I pursue after this band? Shall I overtake them?" He answered him, "Pursue, for you shall surely overtake and shall surely rescue." 9 So David set out, and the six hundred men who were with him, . . .

11 They found an Egyptian in the open country and brought him to David. . . . He said, "I am a young man of Egypt, servant to an Amalekite, and my master left me behind because I fell sick three days ago. 14  We had made a raid against the Negeb of the Cherethites and against that which belongs to Judah and against the Negeb of Caleb, and we burned Ziklag with fire." 15 And David said to him, "Will you take me down to this band?" And he said, "Swear to me by God that you will not kill me or deliver me into the hands of my master, and I will take you down to this band."

. . . And David struck them down from twilight until the evening of the next day, and not a man of them escaped, except four hundred young men, who mounted camels and fled. 18  David recovered all that the Amalekites had taken, and David rescued his two wives. 19 Nothing was missing, whether small or great, sons or daughters, spoil or anything that had been taken. David brought back all.

NOTE: After David pours out his soul to God, and under the threat of mutiny, he seeks God's will. Maybe it was a time of repentance for his deception. Maybe it was just learning to deal with tremendous disappointment and pain. Whatever, a lot of things will change quickly in David's life. Finding his family will be most important, but immediately afterwards he will be pronounced King of Judah because of the death of Saul and his sons on the battlefield. At this point, David's attention is to his own family, and the families of his soldiers. He is greatly distressed, but he does not give up on God. He goes to God with his distress; he is refreshed by God; he seeks direction from God.

The lesson is clear to us as well. Go to God with your pain. Seek him and find strength in him. Then seek Him for the next steps. Sometimes the next steps are few and not very far out into the future. The next step may only take you into the next day, but keep seeking God. He will provide what is best (His best, not yours). He promises that to all of his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment