Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

QT 5 Nov 13, Envy is a dangerous sin that leads us downward

1 Sam 20:1-3, 32-33 (ESV) Then David fled from Naioth in Ramah and came and said before Jonathan, "What have I done? What is my guilt? And what is my sin before your father, that he seeks my life?" 2 And he said to him, "Far from it! You shall not die. Behold, my father does nothing either great or small without disclosing it to me. And why should my father hide this from me? It is not so." 3 But David vowed again, saying, "Your father knows well that I have found favor in your eyes, and he thinks, 'Do not let Jonathan know this, lest he be grieved.' But truly, as the Lord lives and as your soul lives, there is but a step between me and death."
. . .
32 Then Jonathan answered Saul his father, "Why should he be put to death? What has he done?" 33  But Saul hurled his spear at him to strike him. So Jonathan knew that his father was determined to put David to death

NOTE: Saul's jealousy of David has so clouded his thinking that he throws a spear at his own son. Envy is a dangerous trap. When we allow it entry into our lives, it seeks to consume us, even to the point of destroying other relationships around us. Satan wants us to be discontent. He wants us to desire what others have. He wants us to be unhappy about our circumstances. On the other hand, God wants us to learn contentment, not to lust after the things of others, and to rejoice in our circumstances. God wants us to be thankful and thankfulness is the best defense against envy and discontentment. Rejoice in all things is a protection against the attack of the enemy. Saul has fallen into the trap. And what follows are the common results of envy and jealousy, and that is: anger, bitterness, rage, self-focused, and narcissism. The cure is to bring our eyes back to God and off of the things we feel we must have to be happy. The cure is to give thanks to God for our circumstances. The cure is to live for God first and trust him to provide what is needed for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment