Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

QT 10 Dec 13, Where do we fight against God's will?

2 Sam 3:6-12 (ESV) While there was war between the house of Saul and the house of David, Abner was making himself strong in the house of Saul. 7 Now Saul had a concubine whose name was Rizpah, the daughter of Aiah. And Ish-bosheth said to Abner, "Why have you gone in to my father's concubine?" 8 Then Abner was very angry over the words of Ish-bosheth and said, "Am I a dog's head of Judah? To this day I keep showing steadfast love to the house of Saul your father, to his brothers, and to his friends, and have not given you into the hand of David. And yet you charge me today with a fault concerning a woman. 9  God do so to Abner and more also, if I do not accomplish for David what the Lord has sworn to him, 10 to transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan to Beersheba." 11 And Ish-bosheth could not answer Abner another word, because he feared him.

12 And Abner sent messengers to David on his behalf, saying, "To whom does the land belong? Make your covenant with me, and behold, my hand shall be with you to bring over all Israel to you."

NOTE: Abner was the one who put Ish-bosheth (henceforth, Ish) on the throne, and without Abner, Ish would be nothing. Of course, Abner gained too. With Ish, a legitimate heir to the throne, Abner retained his power and position. Without Ish, Abner may not have done as well in an Army with most of the leaders coming from Judah and David's band of men. But Ish's real problem is that he was not the legitimate rule and Abner was wrong to perpetuate a lie. He knew David was the true ruler as evidenced by verse 9. Ish's rule is almost like a puppet. When he rebukes his commander, his commander rails back at him. His fear is justifiable since the whole structure is but a house of cards. When Abner leaves, everything will fall apart. And apparently a failing war and a rebuke from a puppet-king causes Abner's loyalty to falter. Abner begins a behind-the-scenes effort to give the kingdom to David. Abner will die because of Joab's treachery, but Abner's action are hardly self-less. The correct course of action should have been to accept David's rule immediately, rather than to have spent seven years fighting against David.


So what are the things that I fight against? What are the areas that I refuse to give up? Where am I being foolish?

No comments:

Post a Comment