Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, December 26, 2013

QT 26 Dec 13, Don't wait to do good, seek it out

2 Sam 9:1, 6-8 (ESV) And David said, "Is there still anyone left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan's sake?" . . . 6 And Mephibosheth the son of Jonathan, son of Saul, came to David and fell on his face and paid homage. And David said, "Mephibosheth!" And he answered, "Behold, I am your servant." 7 And David said to him, "Do not fear, for I will show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan, and I will restore to you all the land of Saul your father, and you shall eat at my table always." 8 And he paid homage and said, "What is your servant, that you should show regard for a dead dog such as I?"

NOTE: What stands out in this passage is that David sought out good to do. He did not sit back and simply respond to life by doing good, as he ought, but took an active interest in doing what was right. Mephibosheth is lame because his nurse either dropped him or he fell because of the haste in such a way as to damage his feet. The response of Mephibosheth suggests he is much older at this point in the story. David's recognition of him suggests he was older than a baby when he fell, since David would hardly remember Jonathan's baby. So, it is not completely impossible to suggest that this story occurs much earlier in David's reign than is suggested by the placement in 2 Samuel. Additionally, Jewish literature placed thematic position more important than chronology. But whenever it occurred, it shows David actively looking to do good.


I fail at this. I wait for events to occur and then seek to do the right thing--which is certainly a good thing. But a better example is to actively look and search for things that I can do that would bring good to others. I think the keys are asking the right questions and having an observant attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment