Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, December 23, 2013

QT 23 Dec 13, Live in Rightness

2 Sam 8:14b-15 (ESV) … And the Lord gave victory to David wherever he went.

15 So David reigned over all Israel. And David administered justice and equity to all his people.

NOTE: This verse summarizes a long discussion of battles and victories in chapter 8. Israel was the powerhouse of the region during the 80 year reign of David and Solomon. In part it was in fulfillment of God's promises, but it was also because David did what was right and just. Ultimately, our greatest need politically is for justice. The word for justice is mishpat which is from a root word for verdict, and is abstractly, justice or a participant's right or privilege. The word for equity is tsedaqah is rightness or righteousness (in a case or cause). It is also part of Melchizedek's name, translated king of righteousness. The first occurrence (not including its use in Melchizedk) in scripture is Gen 15:6 where God, on account of Abrams' faith, credits him with tsedaqah, righteousness. This is the 14th of 157 uses in the OT, most of which occur in the Psalms, Proverbs and major prophets. So what does it mean for me? God will give me opportunities again in life to lead people and even when I'm not leading people, I need to exercise rightness in my actions. I need to treat people equally and fairly. I need to avoid favoritism or even disliking someone because he/she is dislikeable. I want to be different and live differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment