Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

QT 13 Jan 15, 1 Kings 22:48, How do we respond to negative events?

1 Kings 22:48 (ESV) Jehoshaphat made ships of Tarshish to go to Ophir for gold, but they did not go, for the ships were wrecked at Ezion-geber.

NOTE: Jehoshaphat is one of the good kings of Judah. Spurgeon suggests that it was his alliance with Ahaziah that was the cause of his misfortune (since Solomon had tried the same thing but was successful whereas Jehoshaphat was not). Actually, 2 Chron 20:35-37 confirms Spurgeon's theory. It is certainly possible that negative events are caused by God (as opposed to allowed). But much of our problems in life are not God's direct hand, but rather the result of our original rebellion and the effect of sin on the world. Bad things happen and they do pass through God's hand (in the sense that he can intervene), but that does not mean they are caused or that he is required to intervene. Also, God's promise to believers in Rom 8:28 only says that he will bring good out of all things (good and bad), not that he will stop bad things from happening to believers. Unlike most of life, in this passage's cross-reference, we have direct confirmation of God's hand and purpose in the event. Most of the time, we don't get that information. So what do we do when bad things happen? We must take them to the Lord and ask as David did, "(Ps 139:23-24) Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" God will use it for good but God could have caused it for purpose. We need him to reveal to us his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment