Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

QT 20 Jan 15, Luke 6 :35-36, Lending to your enemies

Luke 6:35-36 (ESV) But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.  36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.


NOTE: I think the hardest command is the idea of lending. In my carnal mind, there seems to be limits.  Certainly, my tools, my toys, my stuff, for the most part, should be considered in lending to an "enemy." And by "enemy," I think the thought is not someone who truly despises me or is trying to kill me (as in a war), but something is little less sever. Giving money, that is where I struggle. Some amount of money, 10, 20, even 100 dollars seems possible. And I suppose it would depend upon the situation. If the person is in dire need, then yes, I can give and probably even more. But if the need is not there, then the principles should be the same as giving to a friend or to family. There are reasons people are broke and giving or lending them money could be working against God. The Lord uses financial difficulties to cause people to see the futility of life under the sun (as Solomon calls it). It may be appropriate to lend to an enemy during these times but the circumstances have to be right. The idea of lending is to show that I care (hopefully I do), not to make life comfortable. God uses uncomfortable-ness to open our eyes to futility. Lord, help me to understand your truth and to act in your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment