Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, November 26, 2015

QT 26 Nov 15, Eccl 11:4, Faith and action, a balancing act

Eccl 11:4 (ESV) He who observes the wind will not sow,
and he who regards the clouds will not reap.

NOTE: The saying that 'God helps those who help themselves' is nowhere in the bible. It is never said or written down. But, there is certainly the principle of action and prudence combined with faith. Another saying that I was also reminded of recently, "pray as if everything depends on God, work as if everything depends on you." I think the point of these sayings and the verse above is that we do have a responsibility to act. And as a minimum, faith cannot be used as an excuse to be lazy. We must complete the responsibilities before us. Paul said, if a man will not work, he should not eat. Where we get into trouble is where we try to do too much? But what is too much? That is a hard question and I don't have any easy answers, except, I think deep down within our spirit, if we are putting the issue to prayer, we will know in our spirit if we are doing too much or not enough. That is not a very good answer, but it does require the most essential element in determining God's will, and that is prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment