Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 21, 2016

QT 21 Jan 16, Rom 15:23-29, There are plans and then there is God's plan

Romans 15:23–29 (RSV)
23 But now, since I no longer have any room for work in these regions, and since I have longed for many years to come to you, 24 I hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain, and to be sped on my journey there by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a little. 25 At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem with aid for the saints. 26 For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make some contribution for the poor among the saints at Jerusalem; 27 they were pleased to do it, and indeed they are in debt to them, for if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material blessings. 28 When therefore I have completed this, and have delivered to them what has been raised, I shall go on by way of you to Spain; 29 and I know that when I come to you I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of Christ.

NOTE: Paul had quite a plan. He did succeed in gathering the contribution from all the churches. He did make it back to Jerusalem with the gift. But here is where it gets a little fuzzy. While he did return to Rome as he planned in verse 29, he spent two plus years in Israel, which was probably a little longer than he hoped. Also, he was in Caesarea (not Jerusalem) most of the time and he was in prison. He did get to Rome and he did stay in Rome (a little more than in "passing," vs 24) but also under house arrest. The history from this point becomes murky. He was probably killed in Rome with Peter around 68 AD, but some accounts suggest he made it to Spain and then back to Rome. So Paul did have a plan, and so did God--only, God's plan superseded Paul's. And I have no doubt Paul expected that and welcomed that. It is good to have plans, but ultimately it is God's plan that we want. I certainly want to continue in disciplemaking as I have for 38 years. I enjoy working with individuals. I know that it needs to work better in the church, and I have not seen many churches that truly have made disciples. I long to help the body grow as God intended it to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment