Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 25, 2016

QT 25 Jan 16, Eph 5:25-30, Jesus loves the church and so should I

Ephesians 5:25–30 (RSV) 25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. 28 Even so husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no man ever hates his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body.
NOTE: We are to love our wives in the same way Jesus loves the church. In terms of the worldwide "church," I do care very much for its work in the world. But I do find myself cynical at times in regard to the local "church." I minister to those who desire to grow but I tend to shun those who think they have already arrived. And so, I tend to shun church activities in favor of meeting individually with believers. I enjoy bible study and teaching because the people involved, want to learn and grow, but other activities have left me cold over the years. And quite frankly, that is sin on my part. Jesus loves the church, the whole church. And if I love Jesus, I need to have the same heart and attitude toward the things he considers important. I do desire to see the church mature. I have become jaded over the years by programs but not real growth in the body (by that I mean character, not numbers). I've seen churches grow in numbers, and that is good (well, mostly). But I want to see us grow in character and in a lovely witness--a fragrance, an aroma that the world can't ignore. That is my desire. Lord, forgive for my attitude. Give me your love for the body, the whole body of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment