Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Saturday, January 23, 2016

QT 23 Jan 16, 2 Tim 2:1-2, Balancing the need to teach with the need to witness

2 Timothy 2:1–2 (RSV)
1 You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus, 2 and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.


NOTE: I think the strength of my ministry has been in discipling newborn or floundering believers. I have led people to the Lord, discipled them, and see them walking with the Lord today. But much of my evangelism has been more toward changing people's attitudes toward who a Christian is or what he believes. The culture and media have painted the Evangelical Christian in a ridiculous manner. And while there are individuals who certainly fit the description, it is not the norm. On the other hand, the vast majority of people who profess faith in Christ, while not like the media's description, do not necessarily provide the best witness. I suppose that has been my ministry, finding these immature believers, helping them to grow to maturity, and changing the attitude of non-Christians toward God, the bible, and Christians. I've seen some come to the Lord, sometimes after many years. And often, it is another who leads that person to Christ. And I am okay with that but I'm also sensitive that proactive evangelism has to be a stronger area of my life. I don't have to be the one who reaps, but I must let my planting be more obvious at times. God, continue to help me to grow in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment