Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 28, 2016

QT 28 Jan 16, Gen 2:20-23, Selfishness inhibits our ability to support our spouse

Genesis 2:20–23 (RSV)
20 The man gave names to all cattle, and to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for the man there was not found a helper fit for him. 21 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh; 22 and the rib which the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. 23 Then the man said,
“This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called Woman,
because she was taken out of Man.”

NOTE: Being married carries a commitment of two people to each other. Eph 5:21 tells both persons to submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. And while spouses' ministries may differ, we are both helpers to the other. Sometimes I do chafe in certain support roles and the primary reason is selfishness. I have things I want to do, and supporting an activity of my spouse is not on my list. And that really is just selfishness. We are both called to ministry. And we are both called to support each other in our ministry. When the ministry is the same, as sometimes it is, it is obviously much easier. God knew we needed a helper. We can't do life alone. And supporting each other in our separate and in our joint ministries is what God has called us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment