Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, November 12, 2018

QT 12 Nov 18, 1 Cor 14:19, Use your mind


1 Corinthians 14:19 (ESV) — 19 Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

NOTE: Tongues is an inferior gift in comparison to using your mind. Our mind is our greatest gift and it is given to worship God too. We are certainly not missing out if we do not speak in tongues. But we are missing out if we are not using our mind and spending time in prayer. Both (mind and prayer) are extremely important and are mentioned throughout the New Testament. Whereas, I believe, tongues is barely mentioned at all, and almost entirely in this letter and that because it was being misused and misunderstood. Spirituality is not defined by spiritual gifts, but rather by the impact on the body in the use of your gifts and abilities. God cares for his body, not for our status in it.

PRAYER: God forgive me for my sin of pride. It is not how people perceive me that is important, but is the impact for good and love that I can have in the life of another. Help me to build up and not to tear down. Help me to love and support. Help me to be Jesus in the life of another.

No comments:

Post a Comment