Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, November 26, 2018

QT 26 Nov 18, 1 Cor 15:46-49, Our new bodies will bear the image of Jesus, not Adam


1 Corinthians 15:46–49 (ESV) — 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

NOTE: Paul argues that the natural precedes the spiritual. I don't know if he meant that as a principle or if he meant it as a truth in this case. If it is a principle, then all spiritual beings would first be natural. In this case he applies it directly to Adam, made of dust, and natural. The second man is Jesus, raised from the dead, and spiritual. We bear Adam's image now, sinners. We will bear Jesus' image soon, creature holiness. We won't struggle with issues of sin. We will not desire sin. We will desire what is good only. Why does the natural have to precede the spiritual? I don't know. But God has directed it in that order.

PRAYER: Thank you for the promise of a spiritual existence in a new body made possible because of Jesus' obedience and his death on the cross for me. Adam failed despite all the advantages he had. But we will have advantages in our spiritual body that Adam never knew. Lord, I don't understand it all, but I believe. I look forward to my new body and to the millennial kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment