Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, November 29, 2018

QT 29 Nov 18, 1 Cor 16:5-6, Planning versus scheming


1 Corinthians 16:5–6 (ESV) — 5 I will visit you after passing through Macedonia, for I intend to pass through Macedonia, 6 and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you may help me on my journey, wherever I go.

NOTE: There is a principle here that has been repeated throughout the letter -- God has given us minds to use. We see it here. Paul makes plans. He is not completely sure of everything that will happens but he has a plan. He also allows God to intervene and change those plans (seen in other passages of scripture), but there is nothing wrong with planning. I think that planning becomes evil (or sin) when it turns to scheming. The words plan and scheme are not that much different. My point here is that when a scheme is secret, crafty, or devious, then it becomes wrong. We don't need to scheme to achieve our desires. We need to plan openly, and act openly and in integrity. And one last difference between godly planning and evil scheming is that we give our plans to God. We bathe them in prayer asking for his will, and we tell God that we are willing to change plans according to his will. There is no single path, in terms of details, that we must follow. God allows for a lot of variation. But there is a path, and there is a will of God. The path and his will is revealed in the scriptures for all. The variations are subject to our mind and the leading of the Spirit where applicable.

PRAYER: God lead me. Help me to plan and not to scheme. Help me to see when I am scheming. I confess the sin of scheming to you. I don't want to step beyond what I should do. Help me to see the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment