Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, November 2, 2018

QT 2 Nov 18, 1 Cor 12:29-31, Clearly, the gift of tongues is not universal


1 Corinthians 12:29–31 (ESV) — 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts.
And I will show you a still more excellent way.

NOTE: This is pretty clear, not everyone has all the gifts. Not everyone speaks in tongues. Not everyone can heal. In the verse that follows, it says to earnestly desire the higher gifts, which is not tongues, but apostles (missionary work), prophets (evangelists), and teachers. Those are the things we should desire, not tongues. Why do we desire the lesser gifts. Of course, all gifts are important, and we need to honor those with lesser gifts. But there is a distinction in terms of the gifts we should desire. They are all important, but some have a greater impact in the world.

PRAYER: Father, help me to exercise my gift more and more under the power of the Holy Spirit and less and less under my own power. I don't want to rest on my logic or my mind. I need the mind of Christ to share the truths of Christ. Speak through me. Teach me so I can teach others.

No comments:

Post a Comment