Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

QT 12/27/2022 1 Sam 20:2-8, Seeking his will, not my kingdom

1 Samuel 20:2–8 (ESV) —

2 And he said to him, “Far from it! You shall not die. Behold, my father does nothing either great or small without disclosing it to me. And why should my father hide this from me? It is not so.” 3 But David vowed again, saying, “Your father knows well that I have found favor in your eyes, and he thinks, ‘Do not let Jonathan know this, lest he be grieved.’ But truly, as the Lord lives and as your soul lives, there is but a step between me and death.” 4 Then Jonathan said to David, “Whatever you say, I will do for you.” 5 David said to Jonathan, “Behold, tomorrow is the new moon, and I should not fail to sit at table with the king. But let me go, that I may hide myself in the field till the third day at evening. 6 If your father misses me at all, then say, ‘David earnestly asked leave of me to run to Bethlehem his city, for there is a yearly sacrifice there for all the clan.’ 7 If he says, ‘Good!’ it will be well with your servant, but if he is angry, then know that harm is determined by him. 8 Therefore deal kindly with your servant, for you have brought your servant into a covenant of the Lord with you. But if there is guilt in me, kill me yourself, for why should you bring me to your father?”

 

NOTE: Saul's daughter has already "betrayed" Saul by allowing David to escape. Saul knows his son and David are best friends. So Saul can't trust his oldest son. Saul does not trust anyone, but why, when no one else seems to care? Because status is important to Saul, even status after death. Saul wants his family to always be on the throne so that history will give him the glory. He does not really seem to believe that God is in control or that history is determined by God. He is cut out of the fabric portrayed in the saying, "he who has the most toys at the end, wins." He lives each day not trusting anyone. He can't have peace. He can't have any real relationships since he can't trust anyone. Later, he ends up using blood-thirsty foreigners to do his dirty work. What an ugly life he is building for himself as he seeks to be his own god (to work out his own future). We all do the same thing. We try to build our life to our own desire (our kingdom), rather than surrendering and letting God build it for us.

 

PONDER:

  1. Will I surrender my life for God's plan this year?
  2. Will I let go of my kingdom?

 

PRAYER: Father, I feel prepared to do something, but I am not sure what it is. I have a ministry. I am grateful for how you are using me. But there seems like something I can do that can affect even more people. This week, I plan to seek you in prayer. Speak to me on your plans. Where are we heading?

No comments:

Post a Comment