Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, December 5, 2022

QT 12/5/2022 1 Sam 17:33-37, Infectious faith

1 Samuel 17:33–37 (ESV) —

33 And Saul said to David, “You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him, for you are but a youth, and he has been a man of war from his youth.” 34 But David said to Saul, “Your servant used to keep sheep for his father. And when there came a lion, or a bear, and took a lamb from the flock, 35 I went after him and struck him and delivered it out of his mouth. And if he arose against me, I caught him by his beard and struck him and killed him. 36 Your servant has struck down both lions and bears, and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be like one of them, for he has defied the armies of the living God.” 37 And David said, “The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” And Saul said to David, “Go, and the Lord be with you!”

 

NOTE: David did have experience in life and death situations. David had killed large animals. David had fought against the odds. David believed in a cause and he believed in his God. David did not have combat experience against men. He did not know how to use armor. In many things he was untrained. But he knew how to handle a sling and a sword. And most importantly he believed that God was bigger than anything the Philistines could throw against him. And David was infectious. Saul looked at the external and saw an untrained youth, but by the time David had finished his argument why he was not a youth, Saul too recognized that there was something special in his faith, as seen in his final words, "Go, and the Lord be with you." That is the thing about faith. It can be infectious in those who truly know their God.

 

PONDER:

  1. Is my faith infectious?
  2. Does it cause people to want to know God more deeply?
  3. Does it cause those outside of faith, do want to search for truth?

 

PRAYER: Father, I want to immerse myself in you. I want faith that is not phony or stoic, but is alive and real. I don't want what most people call church. I want to know you. Speak to me through your word. In this last month of the year help me to spend some time working on where and how you would have me minister in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment