Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, December 30, 2022

QT 12/30/2022 1 Sam 21:1-9, We must not take the blame for another's evil actions

1 Samuel 21:1–2 (ESV) —

1 Then David came to Nob, to Ahimelech the priest. And Ahimelech came to meet David, trembling, and said to him, “Why are you alone, and no one with you?” 2 And David said to Ahimelech the priest, “The king has charged me with a matter and said to me, ‘Let no one know anything of the matter about which I send you, and with which I have charged you.’ I have made an appointment with the young men for such and such a place.

1 Samuel 21:8–9 (ESV) —

8 Then David said to Ahimelech, “Then have you not here a spear or a sword at hand? For I have brought neither my sword nor my weapons with me, because the king’s business required haste.” 9 And the priest said, “The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you struck down in the Valley of Elah, behold, it is here wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod. If you will take that, take it, for there is none but that here.” And David said, “There is none like that; give it to me.”

 

NOTE: In Nob, every day, twelve loaves of bread were exchanged for twelve new loaves. I believe David knew that and knew they would have bread to share. I also believe David knew the sword was there. David's questions therefore, were a civil way to ask for things David already knew existed. His urgent matter may have been from his heavenly father, but it really doesn't matter, since the priests were clearly misled. The overarching principle, which Jesus makes about this passage as well, is that human needs always trump ritual observance; and the spirit of the law always trumps the letter of the law. I think David was trying to protect Ahimelech and the other priests. His half-truths were done out of love not evil intent. Ultimately, Saul will use Doeg The Edomite to massacre the entire town of Nob. Was it David's fault? No. David's lie did not cause others to die. Saul's evil destroyed Nob. Even Saul's soldiers refuse to obey Saul, showing how evil they considered the action. Saul used a Gentile to complete the evil deed.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is more important, the letter of the law or our love for others? Yes, we should not lie, but sometimes it is the more loving choice.

 

PRAYER: Father, this is a very hard thing. It is not right to lie, but Rahab lied to protect the spies. Hebrews 11:31 (ESV) — By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies. And Rahab is honored. Give us wisdom. Help us to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment