Ephesians 4:29–32 (ESV) —
29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
NOTE: Continuing the "put off-put on" theme, Paul gives a few more examples (I will focus on one). Instead of corrupting talk, we are to build others up with our words. 'Corrupting' gives the idea of something that degrades or causes rot. Instead, our words should build others up. Even though it is not an antonym, the word sculpt fits nicely. An artist takes an unfinished object and sculpts it into something beautiful. Ultimately, it is God's job to decide on what God is sculpting in another's life. But we can change a person's attitude by treating them with respect, dignity, joy, and positive comments. Our words can truly help in God's transformation process. For too many people, and I will admit to being in this category, we critique people because we want them to be better. There is a place for critique, but I venture, we (meaning me) would do much better with 10 positive comments to every critical comment. I have changed in this regard, and I have also seen how it has changed others' responses to me as well.
PONDER:
- Do I build others up or do I tear others down with my words?
PRAYER: Father, reveal to us when and where we are tearing others down. Help us to see which is the first step, then repent (the second step), and then to praise people for the good things God is doing in their life.
No comments:
Post a Comment