Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

QT 9/29/2026 Eph 6:4, Giving focus and attention to your child

Ephesians 6:4 (ESV) —

4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

 

NOTE: Some versions (NIV84) use the word "exasperate" instead of "provoke." I like that because I know the feeling of being exasperated and then to answer harshly, further exasperating the situation. So, part of the solution, is that I need be careful how I am first affected by the situation. When I am exasperated, it is usually because there is something I need (want) to do and I am being interrupted, so that I can't focus. The problem then is twofold, focus and attention. Yes, I need to be focused on one thing and it needs to get the attention. But when my child interrupts and demands my attention, or even an employee, I need to turn and give the person my full attention and focus. Answering a child (or an employee) while I am writing out an email is a lose-lose proposition. One, the child (or employee) doesn't feel valued because he does not have my attention, and two, I do a poor job with both the email and the answer to the person.

 

I worked for a company that had a slogan, "be there now." The slogan meant that when I was interrupted by someone at my desk, I needed to stop what I was doing and focus on the individual. I needed to give the person my full attention. There are exceptions to the rule (as in all rules), but I have always felt it was a great idea. It helps me not to be exasperated as well as to not answer in a way that exasperates the individual.

 

Our children are the most important persons in our lives (God and our spouse are more important). They deserve our attention.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I give my children my full attention, or only half?

 

PRAYER: Father, I pray that even when my children call that I would give them my full attention. Help me to see when I am not doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment