Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, March 17, 2011

QT 17 Mar 11

Phil 2:5-8 (NIV) Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7 but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death —
even death on a cross!

NOTE:  My attitude should be the same as that of Jesus Christ.  So how does Paul define Jesus' attitude?  First point is that he did not need to promote his importance or status.  He was God, but he did not emphasize that equality.  Now Jesus does make it clear in scripture that he is God, but this would also explain why the verses are few in number, enough to make the point, but not to overemphasize it.    He was God, but he did not come to earth to be treated as God.  The second aspect is that he became a servant.  He took the role of a slave to others for the sake of others.  The final aspect of his attitude was obedience, even unto death, even unto great pain and humiliation.  So for an attitude check, it would seem that humility, servanthood, and obedience were the hallmarks of Jesus attitude.

Where do I fall short or maybe the better question is, where do I not fall short?  My biggest weakness is making too much of my self.  So what if a person does not know my history -- is it really that important?  Forgive me Lord for promoting myself and not you.

No comments:

Post a Comment