Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

QT 30 Mar 11

Phil 3:4b-11 (NIV) If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have  more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a  Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church;  as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.

7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I  consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my  Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9  and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but  that which is through faith in Christ — the righteousness that comes from God and is by  faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of  sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to  the resurrection from the dead.

Note: There can be no doubt that the discussion of confidence in the flesh is based on the  heresy of the Judaizers. But it is not just an  issue of salvation, it is a way of life. It is a discussion of how to please God. It is not just positional, it is "becoming," it is "attaining." Paul has considered all aspects  of that way of life as loss and as rubbish.  Knowing Christ Jesus is a far greater thing;  as the song, "knowing You Jesus," says.  I'm not sure I completely understand verse  10, but I do agree with Paul, I want to  know Jesus even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment