Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, March 31, 2011

QT 31 Mar 11


Phil 3:12-14 (NIV) Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

NOTE:  When Paul says that he has not already obtained "this," the "this" refers to the previous paragraph of knowing Christ and becoming like Christ.  This is sanctification, the process of becoming and knowing Jesus Christ, not justification, which is our position in Christ.  In other words, the law holds no profit and is considered rubbish as far as pursuing a right relationship with Jesus Christ in this life.  One does not get to know God through the obedience to the OT law.  One gets to know God through his word and obedience to the commands of Jesus (which is not through legalistic righteousness to the OT law).  Jesus said, "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him" (John 14:21 NIV, emphasis mine).  Why is it that people want to attach themselves to the OT law?  What is it about rules that draws us to them?  Why is it so hard to develop a spirit of righteousness and not an external caricature of righteousness?  Father, protect me from the danger of evaluating my walk with you on externals.  I want to have a heart relationship with you, not a fake activity engagement with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment