Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

QT 22 Mar 11

Phil 2:26-30 (NIV) For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard he was ill. 27 Indeed he was ill, and almost died. But God had mercy on him, and not on him only but also on me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow. 28 Therefore I am all the more eager to send him, so that when you see him again you may be glad and I may have less anxiety. 29 Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor men like him, 30 because he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you could not give me.

NOTE: One issue I encounter in discussions with other brothers is that there is a distinction between suffering as the result of health issues, and suffering that is the result of service or persecution.  I've met two totally different groups within Christendom, one that believe in the health and wealth gospel, and the other from the charismatic side, who believe we should always be whole (physically, spiritually, and mentally).  The latter believe a failure to be physically whole shows a lack of trust or spirituality or fullness of the Holy Spirit.  To the former group, I will ignore, because the arguments are well founded and strong against such a position.  But to the latter group, here is a case where Paul equates an illness suffered either while traveling or upon arrival in Rome, with service for the gospel, which would then equate illness with persecution.  Paul says Epaphroditus almost died.  His living was only the mercy of God, not the result of anyone's faith or the fullness of the Spirit.  In fact, Paul's response to his potential death was not guilt over a lack of the HS, but sorrow to miss a good friend for a short period of time.  Paul says E. almost died for the work of Christ.  Paul says E. risked his life for the gospel.  If we are supposed to be whole (physically), how could anyone risk their life with an illness, that would not show risk, but rather spiritual weakness.  I think this particular passage pretty much debunks the wholeness crowd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment