Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

QT 2 Mar 11

Phil 1:3-6 (Wuest NT) I am constantly thanking my God for my whole remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making supplication for all of you with joy. I am thanking my God constantly for your joint-participation [with me] in the furtherance of the good news from the first day [when Lydia opened her home for the preaching of the Word] until this particular moment [as characterized by the gift which you have sent], having come to this settled and firm persuasion concerning this very thing, namely, that He who began in you a work which is good [their financial support of Paul] will bring it to a successful conclusion right up to the day of Christ Jesus.

NOTE: I think Wuest's translation is probably closer to the mark.  Which is not to say that God does not do good works in our lives, it is just more specific in the context, and probably more general in the application.  The work that God began in the Philippian's heart was to support Paul financially.  It was extremely encouraging to Paul.  He called it a "partnership" or "joint-participation" in the gospel.  Their giving was a good thing, and giving to missions, when God has laid it on our hearts, is a good thing today.  But God also calls us into missions, sometimes overseas, and always where we are at.  Clearly we are to live a life that is a witness for Christ, but we are also to identify with the gospel verbally in a manner that is well understood.  Father, give me boldness to share your gospel verbally with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment