Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

QT 23 Mar 11

Phil 2:12 (NIV) Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed — not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence — continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, ...

NOTE: I have never really understood "work out your salvation" in verse 12.  The AMP uses "work out (cultivate, carry out to the goal, and fully complete) your own salvation" which makes more sense.  The NLT says to "work hard to show the results of your salvation."  The NCV says to "keep on working to complete your salvation."   Wuest uses "carry to its ultimate conclusion [likeness to the Lord Jesus] your own salvation."  The Greek word, katergazesthe, means to do something with success and / or thoroughness, and can be translated as to accomplish, to perform successfully, and to do thoroughly.  In other words, my salvation, which is not dependent on works (based on many other verses of scripture, Eph 2:8,9 and Tit 3:5 to name two), starts by faith, but is carried to completion with work and effort.  Yes, I need the power of the HS to live the Christian life, but it doesn't just happen.  I need to make effort to seek God, to pray, to make right choices, to obey when God speaks, and other actions.  God can give me strength beyond my self to live that life, but he cannot force me to walk with God.  If he did, we would be back to the argument about being robots, and robots cannot love.  Additionally, the church today is a massive example of people who are not bringing to completion the work that God started.  They are not obeying God's word, and ultimately their witness negatively affects the gospel. 

Lord, protect me from the draw of the world.  I want to serve you and to finish my Christian life strong.

Phil 2:12 (AMP) Therefore, my dear ones, as you have always obeyed [my suggestions], so now, not only [with the enthusiasm you would show] in my presence but much more because I am absent, work out (cultivate, carry out to the goal, and fully complete) your own salvation with reverence and awe and trembling (self-distrust, with serious caution, tenderness of conscience, watchfulness against temptation, timidly shrinking from whatever might offend God and discredit the name of Christ).

No comments:

Post a Comment