Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, October 15, 2015

QT 15 Oct 15, Isa 50:10-11, Be careful of lighting your own way

Isa 50:10-11 (ESV)
Who among you fears the Lord
and obeys the voice of his servant?
 Let him who walks in darkness
and has no light
trust in the name of the Lord
and rely on his God.
11 Behold, all you who kindle a fire,
who equip yourselves with burning torches!
Walk by the light of your fire,
and by the torches that you have kindled!
 This you have from my hand:
you shall lie down in torment.

NOTE: This has always been a favorite verse of mine. It was a warning many years ago when I was considering writing a girl that I had an interest in, but had not seen for a year. I was praying about writing her and actually spent a lot of time discussing it with God while I walked up and down an civil airstrip. Later that morning, this was my quiet time verse, Isa 50:10-11. The words, "you shall lie down in torment" hit home. I decided not to write her. I decided to wait upon God. A couple of months later I met my future wife. It would still be a few years later before we married, but God provided. We have been married 31 years now. We have had good times and hard times, but I am glad I waited upon God.

I think the key thought in this verse is the danger of lighting your own torches to find your way through a difficult time. Now, there are some things you should certainly do, things that are responsibilities. But some of the other clever ideas, well, those are the things we need to be careful about. We need to pray. We need to listen. And we need to be careful of doing too much. We need to trust God.

No comments:

Post a Comment