Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

QT 2 Dec 15, Luke 1:18-20, 41b-45, We need the faith of little children

Luke 1:18-20, 41b-45 (ESV) And Zechariah said to the angel, "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years." 19 And the angel answered him, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and I was sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news. 20 And behold, you will be silent and unable to speak until the day that these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their time."
. . .
And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, 42 and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord."

NOTE: Moses asked a number of clarifying questions too at the burning bush, but apparently there was a difference in the heart of Moses and that of Zechariah. Mary too, asked a question of how a virgin could have a child and was not rebuked. But Zechariah was immediately rebuked for unbelief. Zechariah wanted an additional sign, as if an angel appearing in the most holy place was not enough. In his heart, Zechariah did not believe. And yet, Zechariah was in service to God ministering in the temple. So the first possibility is as stated, Zechariah did not believe at all, and his question was a challenge question, not a question of faith. A second possibility is that more is required of men whom God has given knowledge and ministry opportunity. Zechariah was a Levite, like Moses, but actually serving in the duties of a Levite. Moses grew up as a ruler of Egypt and did not have the knowledge of Zechariah. So, Zechariah really should have known better--more was expected of him. He was a good man, as we saw in the previous verses, but his age, rather than strengthening his faith, has caused him to doubt God. That is a hard thing that we are all susceptible to. Father, protect our hearts, give us the faith of little children--may we never doubt your goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment