Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

QT 8 Dec 15, Matt 2:3-6, Learning to walk by faith

Matt 2:3-6 (ESV) When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him; 4 and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. 5 They told him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it is written by the prophet:

6  "'And you, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for from you shall come a ruler
who will shepherd my people Israel.'"

NOTE: Israel had the details down but clearly dismissed the interest of the wise men from the east (probably Persians influenced by Daniel). Herod will go back when he learns he has been tricked and based on the information provided about the star will kill every child two years old. But why don't the chief priests and scribes go to Bethlehem?  Were they so proud that they did not think foreigners could see the signs that they could not see? Did they care? Did they believe God would provide since it had been 400 years of silence from God and they were now under the iron rule of Rome? We do give up when we don't see God working in a visible way. Our faith is so weak, we are in constant need of another visible sign. But that is not the faith that God desires. He promises to provide and meet our needs. Why can't we, or better yet, why can't I just believe God on the basis of his promise to me? Why do I need little answers to remind me of his hand at work? Forgive me Lord for my forgetting all that you have done. Forgive me for pursuing my own agenda. I want to wait on your best, not my idea of what is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment