Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, December 3, 2015

QT 3 Dec 2015, Luke 1:59-66, Failure is not the end of ministry

Luke 1:59-66 (ESV) And on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child. And they would have called him Zechariah after his father, 60 but his mother answered, "No; he shall be called John." 61 And they said to her, "None of your relatives is called by this name." 62 And they made signs to his father, inquiring what he wanted him to be called. 63 And he asked for a writing tablet and wrote, "His name is John." And they all wondered. 64  And immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue loosed, and he spoke, blessing God. 65 And fear came on all their neighbors. And all these things were talked about through all the hill country of Judea, 66 and all who heard them laid them up in their hearts, saying, "What then will this child be?" For the hand of the Lord was with him.

NOTE: I wonder what Zechariah was thinking all those long months as he waited for his child to be born but could not say anything. He was educated and he could write, probably Elizabeth too, since she knew his name was to be John, and Zechariah could not have spoken that to her. So they probably had many slow pen and voice conversations. But still, what was Zechariah thinking? I blew it … why was I so stupid … I'm am so sorry Lord … have mercy on a foolish man … give me another chance … I am okay with your work in my life. Actually, I think that is the progression, or at least, the progression I would have gone through. And then, another chance comes. He did not know if he would ever speak again, since he could not speak after the baby's birth and now 8 days have elapsed. But, in faith and obedience, he writes "His name is John," since they would not believe his wife. This was the opportunity. It was not common with culture to choose a name not in the family line, but he didn't care. This time, he was obeying the Lord. What are the things God is calling me to do that I am struggling against? Are second chances passing me by without me even knowing? God open my eyes to see the opportunities, the field are already white for harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment