Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 17, 2017

QT 17 Aug 17, Ps 141:8-10, A relationship demands regular consistent time and priority

Psalm 141:8–10 (ESV) —
8 But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord;
in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless!
9 Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me
and from the snares of evildoers!
10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
while I pass by safely.

NOTE: More typically we talk about keeping our eyes on the path so that we will not fall into a hole, or twist our ankle on a rock. In the spiritual realm, the key is to keep our eyes on God and trust him to protect us from the trap or snare or net. This assumes that we are developing a relationship with God. Without regular intake of the word and regular communication through prayer, we can hardly be thought of as keeping our eyes on God. Once a week church does not qualify as keeping our eyes on God. Even throwing in Sun night and Wed night is not a suitable substitute for daily time with God. They may be salves for our conscience, but they are actually quite dangerous, because they make us think we have a relationship with God when we don't. No one would ever think that a husband and wife who met one morning and one evening a week to have a good growing relationship. Nor can you develop a relationship with your young children with so little time. Why do we think that is sufficient for God? We need to stop deceiving ourselves. A relationship with God takes regular consistent time and priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment