Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, August 21, 2017

QT 21 Aug 17, Ps 42:1-2, A longing for something better

Psalm 42:1–2 (ESV) —
1 As a deer pants for flowing streams,
so pants my soul for you, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God?

NOTE: This Hebrew word, sounds like awrog, only appears three times in scripture, twice in this verse and once by Joel. It means to pant or long for or to crave something. The examples all seem to include an immediate need brought about by life circumstances, like a slave who pants for shade, or the deer who has been running from a pursuer panting for water. I think as we realize how far life is from what God intended, we too long, pant for the original creation or at least a restoration of what was intended. That is the plan in the millennial kingdom, but life, for all its wonders, joys, beauty, and promise leaves a believer disappointed by the evil, ugliness, cruelty, and wickedness of our generation. David may have been running from Solomon or even some of his poor decisions with regard to his family, and his recognition that for all God has given, it is badly marred. I agree. Life is wonderful and yet so empty of what it should be. I long for the restoral. For people to realize that true happiness is not found in running from God but running to God. Lord open our eyes before we destroy ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment