Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

QT 8 Aug 17, Ps 32:3-4, Shame is God's warning mechanism

Psalm 32:3–4 (ESV) —
3 For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah

NOTE: I know that modern psychology wants to eliminate certain mores because they create shame. They recognize that shame is a debilitating emotion. What they don't realize is that shame, while painful and destructive, is God's tool to get our attention that our actions or attitudes are wrong, and that continued activity will ruin us even more. And so in that sense, shame is a warning mechanism. But do we really believe it is for our good? If we have discounted God as our creator, then the bible does not have information useful to our lives from the point of view of the builder or creator, such as a user manual for a piece of software. If we are the product of random chance then the bible contains good ideas by multiple authors. But if God is our creator, as I believe he is, then the bible is life's encyclopedia of information on living life to the fullest. I started to write "God's secret" and then realized that there is nothing secret about it, rather it is ignored though readily available to almost all.

No comments:

Post a Comment