Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, October 5, 2017

QT 5 Oct 17, James 1:12, Stoicism and remaining steadfast are not the same thing

Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
5
 10/5
James 1:12-18 (key: 13)
James 1:12 (ESV) —
12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
Remaining steadfast under trial is a positive quality. In fact, God promises a reward, the crown of life. The crown is not to all people but only to those who love him, meaning a believer in Christ.
How do we differentiate stoicism, pride, and an inability to face your fears and feelings with this idea of remaining steadfast. I think there is a very big difference. I used to play the role of the heroic stoic, but it was false, and it was a show to protect my pride. I wanted people to see me as mature with strong faith, and I did not want to face my own emotions. God broke me of my sin. But it think it is misleading to not understand this verse with mature eyes. Remaining steadfast is not stoicism but faith that God will take pain, real pain, and bring good out of it. And I think the only one who can measure true steadfastness is God himself.
Father, protect me from my pride. Help me to always be honest with you and my feelings. Let me tell you my hurts. Let me be an encouragement to others of honesty and vulnerability. And help me to remain steadfast in my faith, and my relationship with you as my heavenly Father, who has adopted me into his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment