Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

QT 18 Sep 18, 1 Cor 1:10-11, A significant cause of quarrels: pride


1 Corinthians 1:10–11 (ESV) — 10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. 11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers.

NOTE: So, problem number one in this church is that there are divisions and quarreling. I imagine that some of it is pride and then related to that is power. If a person is more knowledgeable or has a better pedigree, they want to be treated differently or have their opinion accepted by virtue of their standing. Frankly, pride is always ugly. I certainly know that because it is one sin that very easily entangles me again and again. Why? Ultimately it is our sin nature. But I think it is my seriousness or lack of seriousness to the issue. It seems that pride is an acceptable sin in many circles, at least to the point of where it becomes obnoxious.

PRAYER: Father forgive me for my sin of pride. Today, help me to see where I subtly let myself fall into the trap of trying to get people to think good of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment