Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, October 29, 2018

QT 29 Oct 18,1 Cor 11:22, Think of others in all things


1 Corinthians 11:22 (ESV) — What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No, I will not.

NOTE: The verse is in reference to sharing the Lord's supper at church, something of a pot luck. The challenging The challenging thing to me is it appears each person brings his meal and doesn't share. So, some bring a lot to eat because they are wealthy while the poor bring little. Consequently, the poor are ashamed of the little that they can bring and are humiliated. This can happen today but in a different setting. Some can afford to go out and eat at fancy expensive restaurants. Others cannot (they are probably the better off). But by sharing your story of where you eat, you can humiliate those who can't afford that option. It is another example of not thinking of others but only yourself. Jesus thought of others ahead of himself. It is not about me. It is about God first, and other people (not me), second.

NOTE: Lord, forgive us of our pride and selfishness. Help us to see it. Open our eyes to our imperfections, our ingratitude, our snootiness, and our lack of true compassion. Help us to live like Jesus did.

No comments:

Post a Comment