Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, October 5, 2018

QT 5 Oct 18, 1 Cor 7:7, What really is a spiritual gift?


1 Corinthians 7:7 (ESV) — I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another.

NOTE: in context, Paul is comparing his singleness with other's desire to be married. What is interesting is that he calls it a gift of God. And he mentions, as is also mentioned in Romans that there are different kinds of gifts. None of the "gift" passages in scripture list the same number and group of gifts. I believe God intentionally left that topic open. I've seen a list of 21 gifts, where individuals have accumulated the gifts from the various passages on spiritual gifts. I'm not sure I've seen anyone add this gift, celibacy, to that list of 21 spiritual gifts. The important point, is that God gives spiritual gifts and they are not the same. And potentially, they may not even be in the list of all spiritual gifts mentioned. What we need to do is to search for the things that God has given us a special ability to do, and then use it for his glory. Who is to say that it is not a natural talent but rather a spiritual gift? And why is it that natural talents cannot also be spiritual gifts? Yes, they came before a person received the Holy Spirit, but God determines our gifts. And as a believer, everything we have is God-given. If God takes a natural talent and increases it by adding spiritual power, how can I say that he cannot do that. The important thing is that in all things, God gets the glory, not me.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the gifts you have given me. Thank you for the opportunities to exercise them. May they always be for your glory and not for mine. Everything I have is what you have given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment