Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, February 14, 2019

QT 13 Feb 19, James 3:1-2, Teachers have an obligation to handle truth with deep humility


James 3:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. 2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

NOTE: The passage seems to say two things. First of all, teachers need to be very careful what they teach because there is a stricter judgment on teachers. I think it is not only what we teach but what we encourage. If we are filling up heads without encouraging the application of God's word, we have failed the sheep. Secondly, the passage says, teachers will fail and stumble. He will make mistakes. He will say the wrong thing. I think the key is recognizing the mistake and taking action to correct the mistake. We don't have to be perfect as teachers but we do need to be sober in regard to our teaching. We are not always right and we don't understand all things. We need humility in our teaching. We need a willingness to consider the thoughts and questions of others with a view toward a holistic view of scripture and not a view that agrees with our imaginations.

PRAYER: Search me O God and know my heart. Try me and test my thoughts. Show me if there is any wicked way within me, especially in the area of pride or pleasing others. God, help me to handle the word of truth properly and with the respect it deserves, the absolute, objective, and unfalsifiable word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment