Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, February 18, 2019

QT 18 Feb 19, James 4:4, The world is NOT our friend


James 4:4 (ESV) — You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

NOTE: The verse is quite harsh but it does get to the root of the problem-- who are you going to serve, worship, and love? It must be God alone. To love the world and the things of the world is to hate God and to be an enemy of God. The world is not the physical environment, at least in my view, but the whole philosophy of the world. It preaches contentment in things, ruler-ship of your life, selfishness, conceit, and many other philosophies directly in conflict with the word of God. The world is not our friend, it is our enemy because it opposes God at every point. If you don't think so, then you have been fooled and deceived (like Eve) by the evil one.

PRAYER: Father open my eyes to the deceit of the devil. Help me to notice the subtle ways the world affects my thinking. Cleanse me from the world view that opposes you at every stage. May I speak truth unashamedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment