Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

QT 5 Feb 19, James 1:14-15, We need stop blaming other things for our sin


James 1:14–15 (ESV) — 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

NOTE: Today, it is very popular to blame our problems on something outside of our control--to be a victim. To blame ourselves for our problems is not popular. And certainly sin has degraded the world from God's plan so much that there is reason to suggest DNA or medical, physical, and mental health reasons. But the real problem is then we stop caring or trying to change; and we blame other factors or our sinful self for our defeat. There is a danger in this approach, because we stop dealing with sin. What do we do then? Three things. One, we always repent because when we stop repenting it means we have accepted our sin as normal and okay. Two, we avoid situations where we can be lured. This area could be a whole thesis and we need to figure out what are our triggers. Three, we must not dwell because by dwelling we allow desire to grow. Ephesians says put off (sins) and put on (godly behaviors). What activities or thoughts can change me from dwelling (the opposite of putting off) to putting on new habits and thought patterns? It takes a little work, but this process can change a person's life.

PRAYER: Father, help me to think through my own sinful struggles. May I never stop repenting. May I seek to remove the triggers which lure me. May I replace the desire to linger near sin with activities that transform me. Father forgive us for our unholiness. Wash us, cleanse us, make us objects worthy of your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment