Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, November 10, 2023

QT 11/10/2023 Mark 4:35-41, Do I believe God cares?

Mark 4:35–41 (ESV) —

35 On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” 36 And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. 38 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” 39 And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40 He said to them, “Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?” 41 And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”

 

NOTE: There are three rebukes in this passage. First, the disciples rebuke Jesus for seeming not to care that the storm may kill them. Second, Jesus rebukes the storm as if it was a child responding to his parent. And then Jesus rebukes his disciples for their fear. They did not understand who he was and they certainly didn't understand the most important aspect of faith and that is to believe God loves me and cares for me. He knows what is best for me. They were correct in going to Jesus for help, but their questioning his care for them showed a lack of faith. And finally they are really afraid, because they were sharing a boat with someone who had the unbelievable power and they had the audacity to rebuke him. This is almost an "Isaiah-woe-is-me-moment" -- I am in a boat with God, and I am a sinful creature.

 

PONDER:

  1. True faith is believing God cares even when everything is falling apart -- do I have that faith?

 

PRAYER: Father, I can't criticize the twelve. I have been in that boat for what seemed like a long time. The storm did not want to end. I despaired of life. And you rescued me in your time. Even today, I would not wish to repeat the experience. Have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment