Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

QT 11/1/2023 Mark:31-35, Living our family name

Mark 3:31–35 (ESV) —

31 And his mother and his brothers came, and standing outside they sent to him and called him. 32 And a crowd was sitting around him, and they said to him, “Your mother and your brothers are outside, seeking you.” 33 And he answered them, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” 34 And looking about at those who sat around him, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother.”

 

NOTE: I like Brooks comment on this passage.

 

It is difficult to conceive of a more meaningful symbol than being a part of the family of God and his Son. Of course Jesus did not teach that physical relationships have no value, only that they must be subordinated to spiritual relationships. Even so, his teaching was radical. It seemed to threaten the most important human institution. (Brooks, J. A. (1991). Mark (Vol. 23, p. 74). Broadman & Holman Publishers.)

 

Jesus was not saying that our physical family is not important, but rather that our spiritual relationships (to God and others) should have priorities. Alas, that is not often the case. Most people put family above God, if not in words, certainly in practice. Even work is placed above God on the argument that money is need to provide for one's family. And that is a spiritual issue -- providing for one's family. But it can extend (creep) into other areas where our spiritual duties are placed on the bottom of our priorities out of misplaced understanding of family and work. My argument is not to ignore family or work, but rather, don't ignore your spiritual responsibilities.

 

It is a beautiful thing to be a part of the family of God. We carry the name of God and our character and actions should reflect that name. People should see Jesus when they see our lives.

 

PONDER:

  1. What do people see when the examine my life?
  2. What stands out? My faith? What?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to live in a way that honors the family name that you have blessed me with. I am a son of the King and a brother of Jesus. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment