Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

QT 11/21/2023 Mark 6:14-20, As we near the end, we must keep our lamps lit

Mark 6:14–20 (ESV) —

14 King Herod heard of it, for Jesus’ name had become known. Some said, “John the Baptist has been raised from the dead. That is why these miraculous powers are at work in him.” 15 But others said, “He is Elijah.” And others said, “He is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old.” 16 But when Herod heard of it, he said, “John, whom I beheaded, has been raised.” 17 For it was Herod who had sent and seized John and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, because he had married her. 18 For John had been saying to Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife.” 19 And Herodias had a grudge against him and wanted to put him to death. But she could not, 20 for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and he kept him safe. When he heard him, he was greatly perplexed, and yet he heard him gladly.

 

NOTE: Apparently, many people struggled with Jesus and who he was. Herod was a man deep in sin. Keeping John alive, even if he preached against him, probably made Herod feel he was in charge. Or maybe he thought this act of kindness might outweigh his other sins. For whatever reason, Herod (an evil man), liked listening to John, but still kept him in prison.

 

That sounds like our own sin. We know sin is wrong, but we like our sin. We are perplexed in how to deal with our sin. The key is repentance and starting over, no matter how often we fall. We must never give in to sin. We must never allow it a place in our soul, hidden away. We must run; we must flee; we must never try to control evil -- it is beyond our ability.

 

Someday, we will have new bodies. We truly will not be slaves to sin anymore. Our flesh will be gone. We will have "creature holiness," a state where sin is not even attractive to us and we will feel great. We will not be missing anything. Our joy and experience of joy will satisfy our souls.

 

"Someday" is coming soon. I can't say for sure, and would certainly not predict it, but I feel as if we are living in the last days. The end seems very close. We need to keep our lamps lit. We need to be prepared for the dark night which approaches.

 

PONDER:

  1. What am I doing to keep my lamp lit?
  2. Am I putting my lamp on a hill and uncovering it so that others can see?

 

PRAYER: Father, give me opportunities and boldness to share the truth of Jesus Christ to others. I pray for those in the world that I will "run" into. I pray they will hear my words, and I pray that they might repent of their sins and turn to Jesus in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment