Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, November 23, 2023

QT 11/23/2023 Mark 6:30-34, Whose agenda am I on?

Mark 6:30–34 (ESV) —

30 The apostles returned to Jesus and told him all that they had done and taught. 31 And he said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.” For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat. 32 And they went away in the boat to a desolate place by themselves. 33 Now many saw them going and recognized them, and they ran there on foot from all the towns and got there ahead of them. 34 When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. And he began to teach them many things.

 

NOTE: This is a great passage that all believers need to stop and meditate upon -- "whose agenda am I on?" The disciples were weary after their going out on missions. They needed time to talk to Jesus (and probably got some on the boat). But when they got to their desolate place, there was the crowd, i.e., "my agenda is thwarted." We have a couple of responses to this situation. Most fit under the first category of wanting my way (we sometimes call this rights) -- we can be angry; we can help but seethe inwardly; we can just leave believing ourselves are more important than others, etc. Now, I know some will take exception to what I said because we do need to take of ourselves. But we use that as an excuse to rarely sacrifice for others. You can only do it (sacrifice) so long before you collapse, but we can all certainly learn to sacrifice more our goals and desires. God's plan 'may' (sarcasm) be a lot better. The second category of responses is submission. In this category we accept the situation and look for the good in it. We seize the opportunity gratefully. We serve others joyfully. We see God's hand in the interruptions of life. We believe Romans 8:28 (RSV) —

 

We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.

 

Jesus chose this category of response, seeing the good and the opportunity, and sacrificing his agenda for the Father's agenda. He set an example to his disciples who were tired and a little grumble-ly (I made the word up), as we will see in the next group of verses.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I grumble at the interruptions to my agenda?
  2. Do I see interruptions as opportunities for God to work good through me?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to be sensitive to interruptions. Help me to look and see if maybe you are doing something, and I am just being selfish. I want to submit to your will, and not be ruled by my will (agenda).

No comments:

Post a Comment