Hebrews 13:17–21 (ESV) —
17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.
18 Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honorably in all things. 19 I urge you the more earnestly to do this in order that I may be restored to you the sooner.
20 Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, 21 equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
NOTE: Obey your leaders, pray for your leaders, do the will of God. Three pieces of instruction to end the book. If the Hebrews believers had listened to their leaders in the first place, they would not be where they are at the time of this letter, almost having to start over again in the faith.
Hebrews 5:12–14 (ESV) — 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, 13 for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 14 But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.
I think American culture is very susceptible to this "go-it-on-your-own" philosophy. We distrust leaders, especially if they don't completely agree with our views on certain subjects. We are very arrogant and rebellious people group. We ran away from Europe and started a new nation in a treacherous land. We are fiercely independent, and I say that to our shame, because spiritual growth requires dependence, obedience, and humility. We don't get to decide what is true, we look to God's word to settle those issues, but it is not our opinion, it is the word of God's instruction. We need to trust our leaders, and learn from them. They are not perfect, but there is so much we can learn from them if we humble ourselves.
PONDER:
- When was the last time I made a specific application as a result of a pastor's message, not an "I ought to change," but an "I will do x by date y in obedience to the message"?
- What is my humility like around the Pastor? He is far from perfect, but his wisdom can teach me a lot.
PRAYER: Father, help me to realize that my leaders, the pastors, deserve my attention, my humility, and my obedience. You have placed them over me and I am blessed when I listen to their counsel.
No comments:
Post a Comment