Hebrews 13:22–24 (ESV) —
22 I appeal to you, brothers, bear with my word of exhortation, for I have written to you briefly. 23 You should know that our brother Timothy has been released, with whom I shall see you if he comes soon. 24 Greet all your leaders and all the saints. Those who come from Italy send you greetings.
NOTE: After reading the book and the commentaries, I am slightly leaning toward Luke as the author. Paul never referred to Timothy as anything but Timothy, whereas the author here uses the adjective brother Timothy. Previously in the book are a few uniquely Lukan sayings. Even the "word of exhortation" is only seen in Acts where Luke quotes (or translates) a synagogue leader's message to Paul. My problem with Luke as the author is that the book is very Jewish, and yes, Luke was Jewish, at least his mother and grandmother. Also, while Luke is scholarly in his writing, the topic seems to requires more of a rabbi's learning. Of course, Luke spent a decade with a rabbi by the name of Paul, so who is to say that Luke did not develop a strong theological basis.
What does it matter? If it is Luke, I would argue that Luke took advantage of the opportunities before him (his long period of time with Paul) and Luke used his skills (writing) in the power of the Holy Spirit to write a large part of the New Testament (Luke, Acts, and possibly Hebrews), even without Hebrews, he wrote about 27.5 percent compared to Paul's 23.5 percent. The book of Hebrews, author unknown, accounts for 3.6 percent.
My point, is what are my physical gifts (traits), in addition to my spiritual gifts, in addition to my current situation that provide me an unique opportunity to serve God? What can I be doing?
PONDER:
- What are my gifts, strengths, vocation, interests, and location that can be used for the kingdom's sake?
- Am I taking advantage of all that God has done in my life to be used by him?
PRAYER: Father, as my days running a grandparent daycare get fewer and easier, what is the next place to serve you? Lead me and guide me in your will. Use the person you created for your glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment