Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 6, 2026

QT 8/6/2026 Heb 12:7-11, Becoming like Christ through growing to be like him

Hebrews 12:7–11 (ESV) —

7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

 

NOTE: As I have discovered in life, there is suffering and pain throughout life, often caused by evil. God promises in Rom 8:28  and Heb 11:6 to bring good in these situations. But, discipline is different, but can look the same. So, how can you tell the difference? I think the key is to treat all pain as discipline by reevaluating your life when those difficult times come by. If it is discipline, we need to be obedient to what we realize needs to change. If not disciplinw, we need to believe that God is going to bring something good out of the situation as he has promised. In either case, the outcome will be positive if we are open to God's leading.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I in a time pain?
  2. Have I sought God to discover if it is discipline or just the evil in the world?

 

PRAYER: Father, David prayed that you would search him and reveal his heart to him, helping him to see his faults. I pray for myself, help me to see the things I don't want to see, so that I can seek to change these weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment