Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

QT 16 Aug 11, God warns us, but lets us choose our disaster


Jer 44:25b-28 (NIV) "Go ahead then, do what you promised! Keep your vows! 26 But hear the word of the Lord, all Jews living in Egypt: 'I swear by my great name,' says the Lord, 'that no one from Judah living anywhere in Egypt will ever again invoke my name or swear, "As surely as the Sovereign Lord lives." 27 For I am watching over them for harm, not for good; the Jews in Egypt will perish by sword and famine until they are all destroyed. 28 Those who escape the sword and return to the land of Judah from Egypt will be very few. Then the whole remnant of Judah who came to live in Egypt will know whose word will stand — mine or theirs.

NOTE: The Jews had made vows to foreign gods in an attempt to save themselves from disaster.  It reminds me of the torches that Isaiah prophesied against when he said "But now, all you who light fires and provide yourselves with flaming torches, go, walk in the light of your fires and of the torches you have set ablaze.  This is what you shall receive from my hand: You will lie down in torment" (Isa 50:11).  Israel had once again sought a solution to their problems that did not include the God of the universe, and God says "fine."  God says in similar words, to follow through on your solution to the problem, but let me warn you what to expect, you will experience "harm" and "torment."  God is more than willing to let us live our lives apart from him, but he warns us of the disaster that awaits us.  That is why Jesus' response to disasters and evils of life was to tell us to "repent, for we too will die."  It is not the way God intended life to go when he created us in the garden, but it is what we chose.  And it is amazing to see how many shake their fists at God today, even though we are experiencing exactly what we chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment