Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

QT 30 Aug 11, Sometimes success is a sign that it is time to change


Rom 1:11-13 (NIV) I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. 13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.

NOTE: Paul was successful.  His ministry was seeing spiritual fruit.  Paul was making an impact among the Greek Gentiles.  But, Paul also saw his ministry as mobile.  There were things he could impart to others which God had gifted him.  There was also a point where his ministry probably had diminishing returns.  Sometimes change can give a spark to ministry, as Paul says, "mutually encouraged."  What is that point in ministry where it is time to move on, to reach out to a new place, to start something new?  In discipleship, three years seems to be my personal limit.  At that point, there really is little that I can teach that I have not already taught and it is time for the person to get training from someone else, or hopefully be training others.  And, we learn so much more when we teach others.  That is another reason to move on, sometimes other individuals need the opportunity to step up and minister, and that won't happen if the "master-teacher" is still there.  God, what are you doing in my life?  Where do I need to move on?  Where do I need to do something new?  Help me to see your plan for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment